miss shawna (meowberry) wrote in k1couples,
miss shawna

Advice Needed

Hi, I'm Shawna. I'm nineteen and live in Michigan. I have a few questions about my situation with my fiance, and I would really appreciate some advice!
My fiance is from Bolivia, and he has been living in the United States for three years on a student visa. We have been living together since June 2006. His student visa expired, and he reapplied to get it extended, but was denied because of not re-applying in time. When he got denied, he had the opportunity to appeal the decision, but decided not to because of the cost of appealing. He had court in December and was granted voluntary departure. The government gave him 90 days to leave, but he will most likely be leaving at the end of this month. I am planning to go to Bolivia with him for a while, probably a month or two.
We are wondering what the quickest/easiest process would be to get him back in the United States as soon as possible. Would it be easier for us to get married in Bolivia and then apply for him to come back to the U.S. with me, or for me to come back up here and start the K1 process so we can get married in the United States?
I have heard that I would have to live in Bolivia for six months for us to get married there and have it be valid in the U.S., but I am not sure if that's true or not. That wouldn't be an option for me because I work and go to school here in Michigan.
Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!
[x-posted to a few communities]
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded